Suicide Squad Soundtrack Copyright Warner Bros. Records
— By Megan Kessler
There are a lot of convoluted reasons why I chose Suicide Squad : The Album to review but it boils down to one basic thing. I adore soundtracks. They are like 90’s mix tapes except the theme isn’t how much you’ll always love Jenni from 8th grade English.
Soundtracks remind me of sitting on the living room floor and listening to my dad’s 45 collection- all the cool songs without the risk of catastrophic album fillers. That said, even before the music starts, the tracklist is exciting and just reading it gave me shivers of anticipation.
After giving is a listen through a few times, my initial impression was right. This album mixes familiar and new, sultry and hard, earthy to epic; so kudos to Kevin Weaver for his great work on this. The tracks that really stood out were “You Don’t Own Me”, “Heathens” and, very surprisingly for me, “Purple Lamborghini”.
I hadn’t heard Grace before and she goes from soft and sexy to bold and strong at the drop of a hat. “Heathens” was well done and smooth, a nice foil to some of the other harder tracks. I’ll have to be honest, I’ve avoided a lot of Skrillex because of the rumors I heard about his music sounding like the AOL connection sound but this song with Rick Ross was a fantastic eye opener for me. When I caught myself dancing along in my seat, I was really tickled that I was wrong about him.
1. Purple Lamborghini – Skrillex & Rick Ross
2. Sucker For Pain – Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa & Imagine Dragons (with Logic, Ty Dolla $ign & X Ambassadors)
3. Heathens – twenty one pilots
4. Standing In The Rain – Action Bronson & Dan Auerbach (of The Black Keys) (feat. Mark Ronson)
5. Gangsta – Kehlani
6. Know Better – Kevin Gates
7. You Don’t Own Me – Grace (feat. G-Eazy)
8. Without Me – Eminem
9. Wreak Havoc – Skylar Grey
10. Medieval Warfare – Grimes
11. Bohemian Rhapsody – Panic! At The Disco
12. Slippin’ Into Darkness – War
13. Fortunate Son – Creedence Clearwater Revival
14. I Started a Joke – ConfidentialMX (feat. Becky Hanson)